rhoadley.net music research software blogs
Chance and Aleatoricism
Seminar List Abstract Preparation Main Text
- Possibilities and probabilities - our understanding of statistics
- Why the chicken crossed the road - Dawkins: The Blind Watchmaker
- The National Lottery
- The Dice Man, by Luke Rhinehart
- Levels of Interpretation - chant, renaissance, Bach...
- Notation - The Mannhein Crescendo, Sturm und Drang
- Historical increase in control by composer in order to express more complex ideas.
- The twentieth century: serialism, integral serialism, chaos and stochasticism
- John Cage and the I-Ching
- Harrison Birtwistle
- What has music to do with statistics?
- The Extent of Chance
- Chance and Interpretation
- Choice and Chance
- Chance and Technology
Mozart's 'Musikalisches Würfelspiel' (Dice Game)
Look at the following implementation of Mozart's method for generating compositions using dice: